Monday 25 August 2014

100 Days of Nature: Days 29 to 33!

Day 29: A common striped woodlouse, Philoscia muscorum, in Great Ashby District Park, near Stevenage. This is the fourth photo taken on the same log. Unfortunately, the next day I discovered some people had had a party the night before, as there was evidence of a fire, and litter (and clothing) strewn around, and the log was gone - perhaps burnt - which is a real shame as I think ants and other creatures had been nesting inside it.

Day 30: Spearmint, Mentha spicata, in Great Ashby District Park, near Stevenage. I'd not seen this plant before this year, though I was aware of it. It smells amazing and is very popular with flies.

Day 31: A black slug, Arion ater, near Weston Hills, Baldock. This specimen is about 15cm long, probably the largest one I've ever seen.

Day 32: A seven-spot ladybird, Coccinella septempunctata, in Jersey Farm Woodland Park, Sandridge. My first beetle of the project. I've seen very few ladybirds this year.

Day 33: A garden snail, Cornu aspersum, in Sandridge. It was the wettest day of the project, with constant drizzle all day, but I braved the rain and found several active snails climbing the laburnum.

No comments: